Tuesday, November 15, 2005

How do you dream?

In college, I hung out with the artsy crowd. I majored in Creative Writing and English, my roommate majored in English, and many of our friends were writers as well. We discovered early on that the English department threw the best parties. And they threw a lot of them.



At one of these parties, a bunch of us were sitting around talking and my friend Julie made a comment about having a strange dream the night before. She shared the basic plot of the dream and how it had ended. Well, my roommate then spoke up and said that she never had dreams with a linear story line like that. Her dreams were always just different images. A couple of the other girls spoke up and said that they, too, dreamt in images.



Then those of us who dream in story lines identified ourselves. As I looked around the group, I noticed something, which I quickly pointed out. All the story-line dreamers were the ones who wrote fiction. All the image dreamers were the ones who preferred to write poetry. Julie then spoke up and said that she dreamed both ways. And I told her that made sense, since she was equally good at both fiction and poetry.



To this day, I dream in well-organized story lines. In fact, I've gotten some of my short story ideas from my dreams. And every time I do, I think of that party. I wonder if anyone's ever done a study on this? Maybe everyone dreams both ways, but the fiction writers are more likely to remember a linear story and the poetry writers are more likely to hold on to the images. Or maybe there is some fundamental difference in the way we think. I don't know.



Maybe I should conduct my own study. Anybody want to fund my research?



So, how do you dream?

7 comments:

  1. That's beautiful! I love your blog design too ;).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dream in storylines - and didn't know there was another way to dream....surprises me that people dream in images. Wow - I learn something every day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know as of lately, I don't remember my dreams at all. I used to dream in images and sometimes I would wake up in the morning and was wondering if it was just a dream or if it really happened. My dreams seemed so real in other words.
    I was just talking to my hubby about my dreams this morning, why I can't remember them right now. I know I dream.
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts on dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok at the risk of sounding dumb what do you mean by images and storylines.

    I dream--I see pictures, it usually tells a story. So does that mean storylines?

    Thanks;)
    Visiting from the blogging chicks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Visiting from the BC Carnival...

    I usually dream in stories. I think I've only had the image-like dreams when I've been well-rested and wake up on my own in the morning, and that rarely seems to happen. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Malissa - It sounds like you dream in story lines, if they tell a story. My roommate, who wrote poetry, had dreams that were just moving images of things happening, but with no rhyme or reason.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so interesting! I dream in storylines most of the time. Thanks for a great "dreamy" post!

    ReplyDelete