Sunday, September 23, 2007

To NaNo or not to NaNo?

In just a little over a week, signups begin for this year's NaNoWriMo. That's National Novel Writing Month, a time when thousands of writers all over the world crank out 50,000 words in just 30 days. It's always in November, which always seems to be a busy time for me. But I've managed it two years in a row, and come out a winner both times. It really seems to help get my creative juices flowing and focused on a task. I just don't know if I should do it this year or not.

See, I'm still revising last year's novel. I love it, I think it has a strong story and characters, and I think it could sell. But it still needs a lot of editing and tweaking, and maybe I should spend two hours a night doing that.

On the other hand, I already have the second book in the series all plotted out in my head. I just need to write it. And what better time to write it than when I'm forcing myself to write new material every night for 30 nights? Except it would be more like 25 nights, because of Thanksgiving and everything. I mean, whose idea was it to do this the month of Thanksgiving?

So, what do you think? Should I go for it again this year, or take the time to "finish" (and I put that in quotes, because all writers know that nothing is ever truly finished) last year's novel?

4 comments:

  1. Now that is a tough one!

    I've never participated and I'm thinking about it. I guess I don't want to fail so I'd rather just not do it at all.

    Nov is such a crazy time of year anyway :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I think you should definitely write that second book and get it down on paper....then, after nano is over, continue with the editing.

    I am still editing my nano book from last year too - I really liked how it turned out and am hoping I can do something with it, if I get my butt in gear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say go for it. It forces you to have to actually get it out. Tweaking can come later...I say write!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely think you should nano!!!! You have plenty of time to finish your other book, but only a month to do this contest! Go for it!!

    ReplyDelete