Monday, March 19, 2007

Looking back

There is a used bookstore near us that has moved to a new location. Happily for us, they didn't want to move all of the old books. So they're selling everything for $1! Now you know I'm not about to pass up a sale like that! We were there the other day and picked up at least $300 worth of books for $33. Among them was a book Hubby spotted: Chronicle of the Year 1988. He thought I might like it because that's the year I graduated high school.

So I started flipping through it the other day. I was shocked at the number of really significant things that happened in '88, and also the silly little things that got reported (it's written like a newspaper). And I thought it would be fun to share some of these events with you.

From January 5, we have "Radon causes death," warning everyone, but especially smokers, to seal their home's foundations and provide proper ventilation, estimating radon was responsible for about 13,000 lung cancer deaths a year!

In other health news, on Jan. 26, "Aspirin is shown to reduce heart attacks." Good to know.

January of 1988 also saw the premier of "Phantom of the Opera" on Broadway. It was already sold out for a full year.

And finally, January saw the implementation of Gorbachev's "perestroika" laws, which many worried would send the Soviet Union into the 21st century as a second-class power. If they only knew...

What a year it was! Periodically (like when I can't think of anything else to write about), I will share with you the wonder that was 1988.

What do you remember from the year you graduated?

4 comments:

  1. Oh Lord, I don't think I remember anything from the year I graduated! Um, wasn't that the year we had the huge flood in Oregon? Or was that the year before?? Oh God, my memory sucks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it was 1990 - Ummmm I think I was a little self absorbed at that time.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didnt graduate so Im not even sure what year that would have been. I think it would have been 78 though. I cant recall a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The biggest thing from 1989 - the Berlin Wall fell, of course....and that I was COMPLETELY in love with Michael Hutchins (lead singer of INXS )

    Sadly, I can't remember anything else, but I'm sure there was a lot more than that.

    ReplyDelete