Monday, July 14, 2008

Movie Monday


Welcome to Movie Monday, when I randomly select a DVD I own and review it for you. This week, I've chosen a movie I watched while I was recovering last week, because I enjoyed it just as much this time as I did the first time I saw it.

She's the Man stars Amanda Bynes. The movie is roughly based on Twelfth Night, which happens to be my favorite Shakespeare play, and that's why I bought it. Bynes plays Viola, who masquerades as her twin brother Sebastian so she can play on the boys' soccer team. Of course, it's a boarding school, and she has to room with the gorgeous Duke (played by Channing Tatum), and ends up with a crush on him.

Meanwhile, Duke has a crush on Olivia, who likes Sebastian, who is really Viola! Confused yet? It sounds confusing, but what it adds up to is comic hilarity at its best. When Viola's roommate sees tampons in her bag, she is stuck coming up for an explanation. "I get nosebleeds," she says in her boy voice. Then she proceeds to demonstrate how to use them. One of the funniest scenes ever!

My favorite line in the movie is, well, anytime Viola tries to say things she thinks guys would say. "Suck it up! Be a man! Rub some dirt in it!" She just plays the part to perfection. I highly recommend this movie for lots of laughs.

If you'd like to join in, choose a movie you own and tell me three things: why you bought it, what's it about, and what's your favorite line. Happy Monday!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't seen this movie - now I shall add it to my Netflix queue

    ReplyDelete