Monday, November 07, 2005

Yes, I am

How would you answer this question:

"You're very talented, aren't you?"



Saturday night, I suddenly remembered that I said I would play the offertory Sunday morning. I said this about six weeks ago, thinking I'd have plenty of time to work on it. I was forgetting that trying to rehearse any sort of musical instrument with my kids around is an exercise in futility. I had practiced a song on the piano a few times, but was nowhere near proficient at it yet. What to do?



I pulled out the old standby, the recorder. Yes, that little woodwind instrument your kids learn how to play in third grade. I discovered quite by accident that I'm pretty good at playing the recorder. I have played it in church several times before, and people always seem to enjoy it. So I grabbed my hymn book and flipped through it until I found a song with no flats in the key signature. It was Victory in Jesus. I ran through it a couple of times until I felt good about it.



Sunday morning, I got up and played during the offering. I didn't use music because I couldn't find the music stand. It wasn't perfect, but it was certainly fine. I finished to a hearty "Amen" from the congregation (we are, for the most part, a non-clapping church).



As we were leaving church, someone said to me, "You're very talented, aren't you?" How do you answer a question like that? "Yes, yes I am!" I don't think so. Plus, I don't think I'm all that talented. I have almost no talent compared to my dad. But whatever talent I do have, I enjoy using it to worship God, and I feel I've been called to do so. The minute I start answering that question with "Yes I am" is the time I need to quit.



So I just answered, "Whatever God gives me." Because I certainly don't deserve the credit.

5 comments:

  1. That's awesome! The recorder - I never would have guessed.

    I LOVE that you say "Non-clapping church" ROFL!!! ... Those of us who go to church totally get that.

    Growing up, my church was a non-clapping church... When I was about 10 years old we got a new music director and he was like nothing we'd heard before. We were used to old people singing slow hymns to the organ. This guy had an acoustic guitar and a beautiful voice.

    I couldn't stand the silence after he'd finish each Sunday so I whispered to my Mom, "When he's done, can I clap?" My Mom, bless her heart, told me to go ahead.... So I waited nervously for him to finish. When he did, I let out a loud confidant clap - and to my surprise, the rest of the congregation joined in... Since then, we have been a clapping church.

    ROFL!

    I like your answered to the woman's question :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's sort of odd: we don't clap, but sometimes someone will start and then we do. The church I grew up in was a clapping church. I think I prefer the non-clapping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just say "thank you."

    It's really hard accepting compliments, isn't it? I hate that!

    Shaunta (Who thinks your very talented, and can't wait to read more of your story tonight!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. And then there are those of us who play loud brassy instruments in churches who clap...

    Being "the" trumpet player (well, at least until my sidekick gets back from his year-long trip to Peru) in my church generates a lot of attention for me, none of which I handle real well. I don't accept compliments well, in part because I'm not used to receiving them. But that's a long story for another time.

    ReplyDelete