Thursday, April 28, 2005

Coffee, the bean of my existence

I saw this story on 20/20 the other night. For some reason, the whole thing about coffee that was on the show is not on the website. I thought it was really interesting, though, so I will share it.

Basically, they asked if more expensive coffee is necessarily better. They listed several brands. One was $12 a pound, but I can't remember the name. Starbuck's was $10 a pound. Folgers was $5 a pound (this is according to 20/20). They also listed Marques de Paiva, an organic coffee sold by Sam's Club. Anyway, they did an unscientific taste test of 8 or 10 coffees, and Starbuck's won! Now, I have only had Starbuck's once, and I didn't like it. But then again, it could have been the way it was brewed. Second place was Marques de Paiva. I am always one to take recommendations for good coffee, so last night I picked some up.

Let me tell you, it is good coffee! It's not flavored (so hubby probably won't drink it), but for coffee lovers, I highly recommend it. And it's less than $4 a pound for whole beans. I get coffee from Greencastle Coffee Roasters all the time that's twice that! What a deal!

I just have to add that the #1 brand in America, Folgers, came in dead last. Which just goes to show once again that if you advertise enough, the quality of your product doesn't matter (sorry, Rockapella).