Friday, April 29, 2005

Notes for the science-impaired

I never had this problem in high school. If we did a science experiment, I could get it to work. Now, suddenly, when I do them in my own home, they flop. Not every time. Just enough to catch me off guard. It's not that I don't understand the concepts. Or that I'm using the wrong materials. I'm doing everything the way it says to do it. What is my problem? Here are some examples:

  1. We put a pat of butter on the end of a wooden spoon, a metal spoon and a plastic spoon. Then we put the other ends of the spoons into boiling water. The point of the experiment is that metal conducts heat. Well, nothing happened. None of the butter melted, not even a little bit. How does that happen?
  2. We filled two identical shallow tuna cans with water. We put white paper over one and black paper over the other. We then positioned a 60-watt light bulb over first one, then the other. The temperature of the water under the black paper was supposed to increase more than the water under the white paper. It didn't.
  3. We mixed corn starch with water in predetermined amounts to make "goop" that has the properties of both liquid and solid. It didn't work.

Those are just three of the many experiments we've tried this year. Now every time an experiment comes along in the curriculum, I hold my breath. Will this one work? Is my son actually going to believe me when I tell him what was supposed to happen, or will he say, "Yeah, sure."

I love science. I always have. Why has it turned against me?

5 comments:

  1. Hello! I am using K12 curriculum as well, via PAVCS.

    I have strange things happen all the time when we do Science! It's amazing. Sometimes the exact opposite of what's supposed to happen is the result. We have a great time with it though.

    I found you through the comments section at Homeschoolmomtips. I have had some experiences with homeschoolers saying that I am not a homeschooler. I was fascinated by the debate there and I am happy to see some support for cyber schoolers.

    We adore the K12 curriculum and had decided to use it - when we called to check on pricing (we couldn't afford it...) they suggested the cyber charter. I'd prefer to do this without the charter school but I can live with it. I have no problem with the testing either as some homeschoolers do.

    Anyway - sorry for the long comment. Take good care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Monica! Thanks for stopping by! I know what you mean about the curriculum. I wouldn't have been interested in the charter school if I hadn't liked K12 so much! What grade(s) are you teaching? I'm doing 3rd and kindergarten this year. Hope you stop by often!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My oldest is finishing up 3rd grade this year and the little one will be starting kindergarten in September. I have two girls.

    I am happy to stop by and in fact I am adding a link to you on my little blog if that's alright. I am also happy to see that I am not the only one who gets strange results with the Science experiments! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't know about some of your experiments but I can guess on the butter. You used a stainless steel spoon, right? Certain grades of SS are notoriously poor conductors of heat. For instance, you can take a 1 foot section of 1/4" tubing and heat the middle red hot with a blowtorch while holding the ends in your bare hands. I wouldn't try that with copper or aluminum.

    If you have any REAL silverware, it will work for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Daryl - I'll try it!

    I took AP Physics, for crying out loud! :)

    ReplyDelete