Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Is there an internet etiquette?

I know some people crave conflict. I am not one of them. I like everything in my world to be peaceful and happy. So if I come across the blog or website of someone with whom I disagree, I surf on. I do not in any way feel compelled to leave that person nasty messages telling them they are wrong, fooling themselves, blind to the truth, or anything else. There is so much negativity in the world already.

Until the last few days, I wouldn't have thought that people who don't know me would have so much to say to me. So much that I had to turn off my comments. I certainly appreciate those of my friends, both online and IRL, who left me kind and encouraging comments. For the hundreds of you (yes, hundreds) who have been flocking to my site since Friday, please stay and get to know a little about me. It's much harder to badmouth someone you actually relate to than it is when you read only one thing she wrote.

It really makes me wonder, though. Is it that easy to create traffic on my blog? What if I were to say (this is not true, BTW, just an example) that I am a cannilesbian - I sleep with women and then I eat them. How many people would come flying over here from their seach engines to tell me I am depraved? I bet you a hundred bucks it wouldn't be as many as showed up when I used the "h" word!

But I have learned my lesson. Don't mud wrestle with a pig. You'll just get dirty and the pig will enjoy it. 'Nuff said.