Monday, May 30, 2005

How does your garden grow?

Hubby, sister-in-law, sister-in-law's boyfriend and I planted a garden yesterday. Can you find what's wrong with that sentence?

None of us has ever planted a garden before. SIL has had varying success with individual plants, but that's it. And I am notorious for killing anything green. I was actually thinking, while we were doing this task, "It's too bad we're doing all this work for nothing." Isn't that awful?

I mean, obviously I'm hopeful that things will grow, and that the plants which were already growing in the house will continue to thrive in the ground. But since I've never had that experience, I'm a little pessimistic. Dare I hope for 8-foot cornstalks and buckets of green beans? Should I look forward to the fresh tomatoes and pumpkins for the fall? Or am I just letting myself in for a big serving of disappointment?

We put down that weed-blocking fabric , with holes where the seeds were planted, and we ran a soaker hose under the whole thing, and we even put a six foot fence around it to keep out the rabbits (I know, I know - how big are the rabbits?). So we'll see. And if anyone out there has a green thumb, if you could send a little of that my direction, I'd be grateful.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck! I have tried so many times, but anything i grow just dies. I now have a mango tree that I basically ignore and it's doing okay so far. So, maybe just get stuff that requires no maintenance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement! And Kris, I appreciate you sharing your husband's experience. I hope I do as well as 50/50!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking the same exact thing when I started my vegetable garden! I'm horrible at keeping things alive. So far so good. Lost one tomato plant because I stepped on it. I'm so graceful. ROFL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Luck Jana! My family made me work in the garden growing up. I absolutely hated it! I had to weed, pick vegetables, can and freeze the vegetables. I couldn't ever imagine why my mom and grandma made me do all that work.

    Now I understand, I have my own garden and I love it. I am so ever grateful that they made me do all that stuff. I do dread canning and freezing time, but I try to think of this winter when I will pull a jar of tomato juice down to make homemade chili and how happy I will be with my own stuff.

    If you get a lot of green beans, be sure to freeze them. That is the easiest vegetable to freeze. (I think). Good luck to you. And if it fails, try, try again!

    (If you are wondering who I am, I am BNJ1998 on BabyCenter boys board.)

    Happy Gardening!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete