Monday, May 02, 2005

Holding out for a hero

Main Entry: he·ro
  • 1 a : a mythological or legendary figure often of divine descent endowed with great strength or ability
  • b : an illustrious warrior
  • c : a man admired for his achievements and noble qualities
  • d : one that shows great courage
The boys have been watching this show called Higglytown Heroes on the Disney channel. Now, we do not have this channel at home, so it's a special treat when they get to watch at Granny & Grandaddy's. I sat down to watch it with them, and I was a little surprised at how they were defining the word "hero."

In the episode I saw, a little boy needs to find his aunt's phone number. So he dials information, talks to the operator (where are there live operators anymore?), and gets the number. And the phone operator is billed as a "Higglytown Hero, brave and true." What?!?

If you look at the website for this show, there's a storybook. And in the storybook, the "hero" is the guy who changes a flat tire!

I'm sorry, perhaps I missed the definition of hero that says, "Person doing their job."

As someone with an English degree, it always disturbs me to see the meaning of words changed. I read this wonderful post from the illustrious Barry Carl several years ago about a similar problem:

Once again the fabulously prevaricating spin artists who brew up our daily dose of media hash have co-opted a term from echtkultur and suborned it to their mass hallucination of pop culture. I feel as if I'm being ordered to abandon every last vestige of qualitative thinking every time one of those demi-ecdysiasts with big hair, a spangly dress, and way too much attitude is dubbed a 'Diva'. Excuse me. A real diva is a woman of truly extraordinary vocal, dramatic, and musical capability who can plant her feet in the middle of a stage, no mic thankyouverymuch, and gut out great music. Maria Callas was a diva. Birgit Nilsson was a diva. Carol Vaness is a diva times ten. These pop singers are not. And I'm certainly not saying that they aren't good at what they do, but divas they ain't.
Preach it, Bear! Words mean things. I know English is a changing, evolving language. But if people doing their everyday jobs are "heroes" then what do we call the troops in Iraq? What do we call the firemen of 9/11? Where's the word for them?
Sorry, Disney. You know I love you, but this is just wrong.

1 comment:

  1. hmmm, that's interesting. I never even knew the true meaning of diva. I thought it implied they were brats!
    you're right about the hero thing, great point!

    ReplyDelete