Monday, April 23, 2007

When 2-year-olds attack

I had trouble falling asleep last night, which I always do when Hubby's out of town. I finally drifted off around two a.m. And what do I get this morning? My two-year-old climbs into my bed at 7:20 and starts yelling, "Mommy, wait bup!" (which is Mommy, wake up in his language).

Thinking that perhaps I could buy a few more minutes of sleep, I turned on a Thomas video for him. Great idea. Except that he positioned himself so that his feet were in my face. Then he started kicking. Finally, after an hour of this self-imposed torture, I decided to wait bup.

Lately, he seems to think he's in charge around here. I say no, he says yes. Now, some of you may be saying it's the age. Terrible twos and all that. Until this child, all of mine were the worst at three. Two was a cake walk. Which has me really scared for next year. But I digress.

His favorite thing to do is play with trains. And his favorite new game with trains is Telling Mommy What to Do. He gives me the remote, and then yells, "Dop!" or "Doe!" And I make the train stop or go. This can go on for hours. I don't even like trains.

If I leave the room for a moment, he screams, "Mommy!" as though I've just vanished off the face of the earth, and if I tell him I'm going somewhere and I'll be right back, he screams, "No!!" I don't do everything he wants me to do, but that doesn't keep him from expecting me to anyway. And that screechy sound he makes when I don't is enough to make my teeth hurt.

Now if you'll excuse me, I think there's a train with my name on it.

2 comments:

  1. Ariel's stage was 3...her "I'm going to scream at the top of my lungs and throw a fit and throw anything within reach when you put me in timeout" phase. It was great. Aside from those couple months, she was great. Tyler's stage was from birth until 3. After that he was a good kid. Until then, he left his father and I BOTH in tears, not knowing what to do with him!!
    Good luck :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - I think I'm going to need it!

    ReplyDelete