Monday, June 06, 2005

Home from our trip!

I have such wonderful memories of going to amusement parks as a kid. Literally, I could fill pages talking about the fun I had at Disney World, Hershey Park, and Busch Gardens. Now, I get to do the same for my kids!

We spent Wednesday afternoon and most of Thursday at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg. One of my fond memories is the first time I rode the Loch Ness Monster. It's a double loop roller coaster, for those who don't know. I was nine. Well, my oldest son is almost nine and I tried to talk him into riding it with me. No go. No way, no how. He is scared stiff. My six year old, however, was finally tall enough to ride the big coasters. And while the Monster in the title scared him a little, he was willing to give The Big Bad Wolf a try. His assessment? "It was scary. I didn't like it very much."

Hubby took the boys on the new Curse of DarKastle ride and promptly wished he hadn't. It was too creepy/scary for them. In fact, he had me so freaked out about it that I almost didn't ride it myself. It's a 3-D movie with multiple screens and the carriage you're in goes from screen to screen, as though you're riding through a castle. Scary things come flying at you. You get the idea. Well, being the huge wuss that I am, I didn't put on the 3D glasses. It was still scary. But totally cool. I wanted to ride again, but didn't get the chance.

On Friday we went to Water Country USA. Imagine having a water park all to yourself. That was basically how our day went! There were several buses full of high schoolers from New Jersey, and us. Oldest son counted only 29 cars in the parking lot. No lines for anything. It doesn't get better than that! And the best part was that hubby was able to talk the two older boys into riding the big, scary water slides, and they loved it! They finally realized there is nothing to be scared of! Meanwhile, I went down Jet Scream and got a huge, nasty bruise on my arm, so I am now scared of that one. Ah, the irony.

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to go there! I keep telling hubby every summer that I want to go. Did you stay down there for a day or two? Any hotel recommendations?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we stayed Wed and Thurs nights at the La Quinta. It was nice, and the breakfast was great - make your own waffles! I would not recommend the Super 8 where we stayed last year, nor the Travelodge, even though they tend to be cheaper. You should go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! How fun!! My oldest boy never enjoyed the scary rides too much when he was younger and I was worried because we LOVE to ride scary rides, but he actually likes them now, I don't know what changed things for him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jana, you are a braver person than I! I freak out at the site of a topsy turvy ride. I am dreading when the boys are old enough to want to go to the amusement parks. Glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete