Thursday, June 23, 2005

Who's in charge here?

A couple of weeks ago, our pastor was talking about respecting authority. In Romans, Paul says we are to respect the authority that God has put in place over us. But it seems as though more and more, people don't respect those authorities. I'm not talking about unquestioning acceptance, I'm just talking about respectful obedience. Why is that?

I think at least part of it is the lack of consequences. People want to know, how much can I get away with and still not be punished? If so-and-so can do this and only get a slap on the wrist, I'm going to do it, too. And at the same time, a lot of authority to punish has been taken away from the very people who need it most.

This is nothing new. It's been going on since before I was born. But it does disturb me to see the extent to which this is happening. Look at the MJ case: how many pedophiles are now thinking, I can get away with it, too (I'm not saying he's definitely guilty, but that seems to be the popular opinion).

I'm trying to teach my children that there are consequences for disobedience, that they are to respect authority, that they need to follow the laws of the land (except where said laws conflict with God's laws). All I ask of our society is that it punish those who don't. Is that really such a difficult concept?

No comments:

Post a Comment