Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Oh, Canada!

As you may recall, I love winter. And as we get closer and closer to the unbearable heat of summer, I find myself longing for a place where the temperature hovers somewhere below 90F. I find myself longing for Canada.

This may sound random, but it's not. Back before Hubby and I were married, we went on a summer vacation with his family. He and I had the privilege of choosing where we'd go. We sat down together and perused the map. "How about here?" one of us said, and pointed to the Bruce Peninsula, which juts out into the Georgian Bay. There was a national park there, so there would be camping (which was the only acceptable mode of lodging), hiking, and lots to see. And at the tip of the peninsula was a little town, called Tobermory. It all looked perfect.

So off we went to Ontario. I've been to a lot of places in Canada, but from the minute we arrived on the Bruce, I was enchanted. It is absolutely beautiful there. The hiking trails lead right along the edge of a cliff, which is amazing. The scenery everywhere is gorgeous. And then you get to Tobermory, this delightful little town with such personality. A cute little harbor, lots of boats, and shops everywhere like The Sweet Shop. I loved it. Then, on a drive to find a good view of a particular lighthouse, we came across a little motel with a For Sale sign. Future-hubby and I looked at each other. We knew it would be perfect.

We've often discussed that little motel. How great it would be when he retires, to find someplace like that, buy it, live there in the summer. I'm sure it won't be that particular motel, but I'm still holding on to that dream. Especially on days like yesterday when the temperature hits 90 with no relief in sight. Then in the winter we'd come back down to the States (spend the winter in Canada? We might try that, too). It sounds wonderful.

I'm not thinking of changing citizenship or anything, but I do know all the words to Oh Canada. So I'm set.

8 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous header! And I'd love to spend time in Canada, too :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never been to Canada but I have similar fantasies about other places we've been. Oh Canada, my home and native land!.... LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    As you probably know, I live in Canada. Not in Bruce mind you, but not too far from it, about, say 2 and a half hours drive. My Dad lives right on the line between Grey and Bruce Counties, and my entire family lives in that general direction. I might be bursting your bubble, but it can get to 90F in the summer. But if you do go, you'll be passing my house on the way, so you better stop in. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jana, nice to see someone else who loves winter as much as I do. I do like summer, but oh that first snowfall is so wonderful. Not to mention, getting stranded at home! I love it all!

    Only thing about Canada in the summer, Mosquitos the size of rats! How about Antarctica? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diana and Tee - I will set aside a cabin for each of you at my motel in Canada :)

    Shauna - I will definitely stop by on my way! Yeah, I know it can get hot there, too, but it's not the same "Please kill me now" kind of heat. Does it get over 90 for a week or more at a time? I hope not.

    Chris - I know about the bugs. We went to Quebec about 3 years ago in July and there were so many insects flying around us you had to close your eyes while walking or they'd get in your eyes. Ew! I guess we'll just have to stock up on repellent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I have never been to Bruce for more than a week at a time, but I know here (not that far away), it has been over 90F everyday, and will be for several more days. Right now it is the Kill ME Now, kind of heat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shauna - Oh, I'm so disappointed! Maybe I need to aim farther north, LOL!

    Jen - didn't mean to leave you out - you can come, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are currently on day 6 of our heat wave. With humidex its 104 F, next forcasted day below 90 F, NEXT THURSDAY, thats 12 Days! We have had severe thunderstorms 3 times in the last 2 days, and it is still humid as h-e-double hockey sticks. Do I need to remind you it is not even summer yet?!

    ReplyDelete