Monday, February 06, 2006

It's been a long weekend

Saturday morning, I was at a breakfast with some ladies from church. My cell phone rang. It was hubby. He said he didn't feel good and asked how long I'd be. We were about done, so I headed home as soon as I could. He called again when I was on the way. He sounded really bad. I didn't know what was going on, but I assumed he had gotten one of the bugs the kids have had lately.

When I arrived home, he was in bed, complaining of severe chest pains. As he described how he was feeling, I decided we should get him to the hospital. We called the doctor's office and they said the same thing. So I got all the boys dressed and we headed to the ER. I waited for three hours before a doctor finally came out. "All of his tests are normal," he said, "but I'm going to keep him overnight to make sure."

So, I headed home with the boys. The hospital called to tell me which room he would be in. I figured everything was good.

Then the phone rang again. The doctor told me Hubby was having pains again and this time his EKG was not normal. They were rushing him to another hospital in an ambulance for a cardiac catheterization. Basically, the doctor told me he was about to have a heart attack, or there was a slight possibility he had an infection of some sort causing the irregularity.

About an hour and a half later, a different doctor called to tell me everything looked normal. That was a very long hour and a half. So anyway, the doctor said what he has is pericarditis, which is inflamation of the sac around the heart, likely caused by a virus. It causes the same symptoms as a heart attack, and it's extremely painful, but not life-threatening. But he would have to stay in the hospital, probably until Monday.

So, after my mother-in-law and brother-in-law came up, I spent all day yesterday at the hospital. He was feeling much better, and looking fine. In fact, the ICU nurse said all the other nurses were jealous because she got him as a patient. He's getting plenty of rest, and has been told he should stay home from work all week. He's out of the ICU now and is supposed to have another EKG before he is discharged today.
Phillipians 4:6-7
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
7And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
I am amazed at how calm I've been through all this. It really is a peace I don't understand. It doesn't make any sense to me. The whole time I was waiting for that phone call, I should have been hysterical. But all I could do was put my trust in God and give the whole situation to Him. Then on the way to the hospital, the radio was playing, "Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus." Coincidence? I think not.

1 comment:

  1. How scary! I'm glad he is going to be ok. I'm also glad God was able to give you such a sense of calm and faith. Hugs to you both!

    ReplyDelete