Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Books for summer

Back when I was childless, I used to dream of the day when I could share my favorite books with my kids. Books have been my constant companions through life, and there are some that have been very special to me. It's been such a thrill to see my oldest son embrace reading, and boy #2 is well on his way to being just as enthusiastic about it. Since summer is coming, I thought I'd put together a reading list of some of my favorites, and maybe you can share a few with your little readers as well!

For the pre-readers:
Pat the Bunny by Dorothy Kunhardt- Kids can never get enough of this book. It has no story, just lots of fun things to touch and look at. Both my copies have been well used,

Dr. Seuss's ABC - I adore the way the alphabet is done in this book. Many real words, many made-up words, all Seuss!

For the early reader:
I Can Read books - I remember going to the library and just getting piles of I Can Read books. You're bound to find many great stories, and your child will be improving important reading skills along the way.

For pre-teens:
Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys books - I loved Nancy Drew. I own a few of them, the rest I got from the library. It was always fun to try to figure out the mystery.

Charlotte's Web by E.B. White - What child can resist a story about talking animals?

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster - I adored this book as a child, and when I read it to my boys, they loved it, too. Milo drives his toy car through a toy tollbooth and ends up in another land, where he is sent on a quest to restore Rhyme and Reason (the two princesses) to the throne. Along the way, there are many interesting characters and hilarious puns.

All-of-a-Kind Family by Sydney Taylor - I loved this book about a Jewish family with five little girls and the events in their lives. I especially recommend it for girls to read, but I think boys would enjoy it, too.

A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket - Obviously, I didn't read these growing up, but I am reading them aloud to the boys and we are all loving them! If you haven't read them, by all means go grab book 1, The Bad Beginning, and get started!

Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein - Oh, how I love Shel Silverstein's poetry! I have many of his poems memorized and like to recite them at appropriate moments. My kids have enjoyed reading from this book. It's a great way to introduce kids to poetry beyond Mother Goose.

Whistle in the Graveyard by Maria Leach - If you like scary stories, you'll love this collection. I used to get this book out of the school library in elementary school at least two or three times a year. It's out of print now, but you can still find it used. If you see one, grab it!

Teens:
Lois Duncan books - Long before "Goosebumps" there was Lois Duncan. Now, I can only vouch for books she wrote before 1990 or so, but she always had a way of creeping me out and making me want the light on at night.

The Belgariad by David Eddings - Long before Harry, there was another boy named Garion who discovered he had special powers and a special calling. I read these books as they were being published and it was torture waiting for the next one! It's a wonderful fantasy series, which is continued in The Mallorean series.

The Hitchhikers Guide series by Douglas Adams - You might have guessed I love these novels. Hilariously funny and fun, I could read them over and over again. And I have.

The Myth series by Robert Asprin - This series started back when I was a teenager, and he's still writing them! A great fantasy series with a great sense of humor, the Myth books will have you laughing out loud. They follow the adventures of Skeeve, a young magician's apprentice whose magic doesn't always work quite right. Read them in order; each one builds on the last.

I know there are more, but I'll leave it at that for now. Happy reading, to you and to your kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment