Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Ghost stories

I'm not sure what started it, but the boys decided they were going to shut their door and tell ghost stories last night, the only light in the room coming from the flashlight held under the storyteller's chin. I could hear them in there laughing at the stories, all of which seemed to have a silly ending. So I told them that I knew a silly ghost story.

I shut their door and held the flaslight under my chin. "One night," I began, "a little girl went to bed. She looked up at her dresser and there was a ghost sitting on it." As soon as I said that, my oldest crouched down in the corner and started whimpering. "So she called her parents, who came running, and told them. They turned on the light," which I did at this point, "but there was no ghost." Light off again.

"The next night, the little girl got in bed, and when she looked up, there was a ghost on the ceiling!" Oldest boy whimpers louder. "She called her parents, who turned the light on, but there was no ghost." My six year old, Mr. Know It All, is saying, "Of course! Ghosts don't like light."

"The next night, the little girl goes to bed, and the ghost is sitting right there on her bed!" My oldest sounds like he's going to pass out from fear. I keep giggling because of his reaction, and because I know what's coming. "She started yelling at the ghost, 'What do you want? What do you want?' And the ghost said..." At this point, I blew a really loud raspberry! The boys all screamed and then started laughing. It was a big hit.

Of course, they didn't want the lights off after that!

No comments:

Post a Comment