Thursday, September 22, 2005

My Cuban Trip, Part 10


One of the great parts of my trip was being with the other people in our group. I had some great conversations during all of the waiting around we had to do. You figure six flights in seven days, you're going to be doing a lot of sitting in airports. And we did. (This is a picture of the airport in Havana.)

The group I traveled with was diverse. We had a family come: Mom, Dad, and three kids, the youngest of which was 7. We had two guys from Wyoming, in their 30s. We had a man in his 70s. My pastor and his wife were there. There was a mother traveling with her 20-something daughter. And we had three teenage girls, who drew the immediate attention of one of the Cuban boys!

There was one guy, Bill, who just kept everyone in stitches the whole trip. He always had something funny to say. Early on, he discovered that I knew Spanish, and he was constantly asking me how to say things. Weird things, like "El gringo grande esta aqui" (The big gringo is here)! I'm sure the Cubans thought he was nuts. Especially the last day we were there and he had me tell him how to say, "The ham flew out the window." I told them, rather apologetically, that he thought he spoke Spanish well and they told me he was crazy! He totally cracked me up.

I also had fun talking to Dave and Jonathan, the two guys from Wyoming. Harold, aka Papa Hemingway, was Jonathan's dad, which is how they came to be there. They were about my age and we chatted about tons of different things as we walked through the streets of Havana. The two of them played off of Bill, joking back and forth. It was like a traveling comedy show!

As we flew from Havana back to the Dominican Republic, I felt sad to go, but glad that we were able to bring so much to the people there, who would be able to use it to teach their children about Christ. We headed back to the camp where we'd spent the first night.

No comments:

Post a Comment