Monday, October 31, 2005

Happy Halloween!

When I was a kid, trick-or-treating was done on October 31. It didn't matter if it was a Sunday, Thursday or Tuesday. After dinner, we would don our costumes and head out the door. We were usually finished by 8 p.m., but many of the older kids kept going long after that. And that was the way it was supposed to be.



When we moved to Pennsylvania, we discovered that Halloween is not actually on the 31st of October. We actually have to ask people every year which night trick-or-treating is! And it goes from 6 until 8 p.m. only. I've no idea why or when this started, but that's the way it is here.



So, Thursday night was trick-or-treating in our town. Since we live out in the boonies, we drove the kids into town, then got out and went door-to-door. That's another difference between now and then. When I was a kid, you hit every house, regardless. Now, you're only supposed to go to houses that have the porch light on. Anyway, the boys had a blast.


Caleb dressed as an alien. This is the fourth year he's worn this costume. The first year, it dragged on the ground and got frayed. The second year, I pinned it up. This year, I took the pins out and it just barely touched the tops of his shoes! He loves this costume.


Joshua had seen a costume in a magazine that he really liked. Unfortunately, he couldn't find the magazine. All he could tell me was he wanted to be a Kelp Monster. So this is my interpretation of the kelp monster. Every house we went to, before he even said "trick or treat," he had to announce, "I'm a kelp monster!" And he always hit the "p" really hard. Hopefully he didn't spit on too many people.


Isaac was a cow. He loved this costume so much he wore it all day the next day as well. And of course, since his big brother was announcing what he was, Isaac had to announce, "I'm a cow!" which changed over the course of the evening to, "I'm a little cow."

So, those are my little goblins. Are you scared? Personally, I've had an alien costume haunting me for the last four years. That's pretty scary.

6 comments:

  1. Send the kids up here tonight and they can trick or treat again! Great pis btw! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trick or treating on the 27th? That is weird. I wonder why it's not the same day every year. It's still on the 31st every year here. I loved the costumes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute pictures! I've heard of towns that change the date of Halloween. LOL. I wouldn't really care either way. Here it's tonight (the 31st). They do have a set time though - which is something I like. It keeps the teenagers from coming to your door after your kids are in bed. I guess I'm a party pooper. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great costumes! The Kelp monster is too funny! The minds of kids are great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, the day switches are truly annoying. What part of PA are you from. I'm in Pittsburgh. Here in my township trick or treating is actually tonight. But my niece went to a different township to go trick or treating with one of her friends last night. My best friend lives in Harrisburg and she said they had it on Friday.

    They tried making us have 4th of July on a different day too, but everyone rebelled. They just didn't want to pay city employees OT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here in my part of PA (just east of Pittsburgh) they did Trick-or-Treat tonight. I was a bit low on gas and all the stopping and going (traffic control by the local cops) almost ran me out! LOL!

    I don't turn the light on though...mostly cuz my wife and I are never home

    ReplyDelete