Sunday, October 08, 2006

Folger's Gourmet Selections

One of the perks (pun intended) of blogging is that I get free coffee every now and then. Recently, Folgers sent me some samples of their new Gourmet Selections and asked that I review them. Free coffee? I am so there.

Now first, I have to admit I have never liked Folgers coffee. I wouldn't have agreed to do this if they wanted a glowing review. But they asked for my honest opinion, so I'm going to give it.

The three varieties they sent were Lively Columbian, Vanilla Biscotti, and Morning Cafe. They sent ground coffee, and I usually use whole bean. I imagine the taste would be a bit fresher if you grind it yourself. Anyway, I tried the Vanilla Biscotti first, using one tablespoon of coffee per cup of water. It was a nice medium roast with an inviting aroma. Now, vanilla is not my favorite flavor, in coffee or anywhere else. But for a vanilla coffee, it was quite good. I gave it to my parents and they really enjoyed it. It had a pleasant taste and a nice smooth aftertaste. If the Vanilla Biscotti was that good, I'd probably love the Chocolate Truffle.

Next I tried the Lively Columbian. It's a nice dark roast, and I always love dark roasts. This one has a rich flavor, but a bit of an ashy aftertaste. I happen to like ashy aftertastes, but if you don't, don't try this one. Again, I'd probably like it better in whole bean.

Morning Cafe flavor was just average, about what I expected from the name Folgers. Not very rich, kind of acidic, not a lot of flavor. It only comes in ground coffee, so I know I wouldn't buy it. But if you like regular Folgers, you'd probably really like this.

So there you have it. Now, as of this writing, if you go to the above link you can also get some free samples. But if you're too late for that, the next time you're at the store you might want to pick up some Gourmet Selections and try it for yourself.


1 comment:

  1. i blog and nobody ever gives ME free coffee?

    how'd you score that?!

    ReplyDelete