Monday, June 11, 2007

Weekend happenings

We went to a wedding on Saturday, one of Hubby's cousins had a daughter getting married. It was nice - we actually got to sit through the entire ceremony without having to take a child out. The boys were quiet, if not completely well-behaved.

Now, I've been to a lot of weddings. My dad was a wedding photographer for years, and when I got old enough, I'd go with him to be his assistant sometimes. I asked Dad, and he agreed with me that he'd never heard of the priest grilling the couple about his homily! Seriously. He gave his message about God ordaining marriage, etcetera, and then he turned to the couple and asked which one of them was going to come up and summarize his homily. Of course, they had no idea what he was talking about. He kept insisting that one of them had to go first, and he wouldn't marry them if they didn't do it! If it had been me, I would have been in tears! Finally, he gave up the joke and went on with the ceremony.

I'd also never been to a reception with a gun turret. It was held at a National Guard armory and there was a big old gun turret right in the middle of the room, the size of a tank! Other than that, it was a pretty normal reception, and everyone had fun. Plus the back of the building was open to the outside, so the kids could go run whenever they wanted to without bothering anyone.

All in all, it was a very enjoyable day. And then yesterday, we had my dear friend Cindy and her family over for dinner. What fun! I only get to see her a couple of times a year, if that, even though she only lives an hour from here. Her four kids and our four kids played, my hubby and her hubby went for a walk down the road, and she and I actually got to sit and visit for an hour, uninterrupted! Moms of toddlers, you know how rare that is!

So, how was your weekend?

4 comments:

  1. Good grief Ive been to hundreds of weddings becaue we catered for 27 years but Ive never ehard of such a thing as what the minister did! Mercy! What a way to ruin a wedding.

    Glad your weekend was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to hire a babysitter to have a free hour! How nice.

    We had a nice quiet weekend...though I did get a rooster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yikes - the wedding officiate's sermon should be remembered - but not due to a bad joke. ack

    And your kids behaved for you? That would be a miracle in my house indeed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got uninterrupted mommy time??? Holy crap, I didn't know that existed!!
    Glad you had such a nice weekend. Sounds relaxing :-)

    ReplyDelete