Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Don't eat your computer, either

Last week, I read a book called Don't Eat This Book: Fast Food and the Supersizing of America. It was written by Morgan Spurlock, the same guy who did the movie Super Size Me. Now, I would be the last person to say I always eat healthy foods and I exercise every day. But this book really made me think about the choices I make for my family. We rarely eat fast food, but there are plenty of other foods that are just as bad out there. And in the book, he goes into all sorts of things, not just the fast food industry.

For example, school lunches, where kids can buy chips, candy and pizza. My kids are not in public school, but I guarantee if I gave them money for lunch and they had a choice between that stuff and meat and vegetables, they'd pick the junk. Maybe one in ten kids would actually choose the healthy food. And while I don't agree with all of his points (for example, he asserts that if only we paid more school taxes, the school lunches could be improved), he makes a great many excellent observations and suggestions.

One thing I like about the book is that he doesn't point to the fast food industry and say it's all their fault. Oh, sure, they do everything they can to hook kids when they're little into becoming life-long "users" of their food, but he puts equal weight on the fact that we must make the proper choices in what we eat. Because, in the end, nobody is forcing you to go into that fast food place and order a triple burger with cheese.

If you're at all interested in the subject of nutrition, I highly recommend this book. I read it in two days. It was hard to put down, which is high praise for a non-fiction book! Go check out the website, where he has links to nutrition information and other projects of his.

I was not paid or compensated in any way for this review. I just really liked this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment