Thursday, January 12, 2006

How to scare a guy in 10 days

Let's just say, before I met hubby, I had a pretty bad record with guys. I tended to scare them away. In fact, I had never been on a date, let alone kissed. And I got really... intense when I liked a guy. I did all kinds of stupid things, like, oh, dedicating a song to a guy at the talent show, in front of the whole school. So my crush on future-hubby didn't go any differently, except that I didn't frighten him away.

By the end of January, we had already been together at several church events (roller skating, a concert, a volleyball tournament). We had also both been at a "lock-in," which is where all the teens spend the night in the church building, after playing games until midnight. Why we were so anxious to spend the night on the floor in a building where you could see roaches scatter when the lights went on, I'll never know. But anyway, the night of the lock-in, I swiped his coat from the pile of coats by the door. You know wearing a guy's high school jacket means you're dating, right? Everyone assumed, and I wasn't telling them any different. I found out later he was cold all night. Poor baby! And yet I still didn't scare him away!

I remember getting his phone number and calling him several times. I called for (are you ready for this - I was so sneaky) advice - I had a crush on a senior and I wanted to know, since he was a senior, what his advice would be on how I should proceed. Should I tell the guy? Or should I wait for him to make the first move? Well, that first call turned into another, and then another. We talked for hours at a time, every night. Finally, on February 3, I revealed that he was the senior I'd been talking about!

At this point, he told me that our mutual friend had ordered him to stay away from me (though I guess he forgot to order him not to talk on the phone - oops). I was a little surprised, but I could certainly understand. So naturally, we decided to sneak around behind his back. It's funny to go back and read my diary now. By March 13, I thought I might be falling in love. And we'd still never been on a date or alone together for even a minute!

Tune in next time for exciting continuation!

No comments:

Post a Comment