Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Singin the homeschool blues

The daze of holiday festivities has passed and I woke up this morning still groggy from the migraine medicine I had to take last night. I still don't feel quite awake, two hours later. I need to teach Joshua, but I really don't feel like it. I know he won't, either, which is probably why I don't want to do it. He'll whine and complain and try to get out of it. He never seems to get the fact that he must get his school work done. And I constantly battle the urge to take him to the nearest school, toss him through the front doors, and call out, "You take him!" as I peel out.

You know, I've been doing this homeschooling thing for four years now, and it hasn't gotten any easier. Four years ago, people kept telling me, "It'll get better." Or "You'll get into a routine." And even "You won't be able to imagine anything else." Okay. Well, it's gotten worse. I have no routine. I have no semblance of a routine. I spend half the day trying to convince the kids to get their little butts in the schoolroom so we can learn something. Lunchtime comes and I've covered maybe one subject with one child.

I'll tell you something, though. I can't imagine anything else. Sending my kids away to someone else all day long, and not knowing what they're being taught, or what kinds of things the other kids are telling them? No thanks! Missing that moment when they finally understand a concept and their faces light up? Forget it! Not giving them the freedom to be kids and play all day, except for the couple of hours we take to do school? Tragic!

I don't even know why I'm rambling on about this today. Well, really I do. I just don't want to start school yet. Okay, I better go...

2 comments:

  1. I admire you, Jana! It's not easy. I've pondered doing it but I'm afraid I won't be able to make myself "hold class". LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean! There are days when I'm worse than the boys about "going" to school!

    ReplyDelete