Friday, January 20, 2006

If I can't win, neither can you

Scroll down for SPF

I used to be a sore loser. I mean really sore. I would scream, I would cry, I would storm out of the room. If you're thinking I mean when I was a small child, yes, but it continued into adulthood. Hubby eventually calmed me down a bit. Now the most important part of playing a game to me is having fun. Of course, my definition of having fun is that there has to be some chance, however small, that I could win.

So on occasion, I have been known to leave a game in the middle, proclaiming proudly that I know I can't win, so there's no point in playing, I don't get upset anymore, I just leave. And since Hubby is very good at certain games, for which he's developed a practically unbeatable strategy, I usually won't even start those games against him, let alone finish them. These include Monopoly and Othello, in which he will win 95% of the time.

Well, last night we all sat down to play Cashflow for Kids. It's a fun game that teaches kids how to make and invest money. Isaac (3) wanted his own board and gamepiece, so he got one, with me helping. Then, partway through the game (at a point when he was actually doing quite well), he gets up and announces, "If I can't win, I don't want to play!" I guess he figures that's what you're supposed to do when you play a board game.

Oops.

(Back later with SPF - I have to take Joshua to the dentist.)

1 comment:

  1. LOL. Both my boys have gone through phases where they get very upset if they don't win. I just tell them the whole shpeal about it being for fun. I get be competitive about certain things - but not board games at all. I'm just happy when I find someone to play with. My family was never a board game type family and my husband doesn't like them either. I get lonely! ;)

    How'd the dentist turn out?

    ReplyDelete