Monday, April 24, 2006

Disaster! Keep out!

My parents are coming for a visit soon, and are bringing my grandmother with them from Florida. This worries me. You see, chances are they are going to want to come into my house.

I know there are plenty of people in the world who manage to keep their houses neat and tidy while keeping four or more kids at home all day. All I can say is that these people have not met my kids. If I take ten minutes to clean a bathroom, they will be in another room inflicting damage which will take half an hour to put straight.

Make them clean it up, you say? Tell me, how do you get a child to clean up when he would rather I confiscate all his toys than pick them up himself? My oldest will clean up, but only the things he messed up, and he's not all that messy.

And then there's the baby, my little bulldozer on legs. Oh sure, he looks all sweet and innocent, but leave him alone for ten seconds and everything that was within his reach will be on the floor. How can I possibly compete with that?

I will try valiantly to get this place in order. I may even hire someone to help. But in case I don't, do you think they'd stay in their RV if I surrounded the entire house with that yellow disaster tape?

{Note to my parents and Gran: I am just kidding. Of course you can come in. I recommend bringing a shovel with you.}

1 comment: