Thursday, April 13, 2006

Smart

After hearing Donald Trump pick on my man Tarek (several times) about not being very smart considering the fact he is a MENSA member, I decided to check out the requirements to join. Exactly how smart is Tarek, and what did he have to do to prove it?

MENSA requires anyone interested in a membership to submit test results from any of a number of standardized tests (the list of which can be found on their site) or their own test. They charge $30 to review your test results and verify you are qualified for membership. Once they do, you just pay your yearly dues ($52) and you're in.

So he did actually have to test as being pretty intelligent. If he took one of the IQ tests, he had to score around 130. It makes me wonder if Trump qualifies. I mean, he's obviously got a very high financial IQ. There are all different kinds of intelligence. And just because you have a high IQ doesn't mean you have a lick of common sense. My best friend in high school was valedictorian, but she couldn't figure out the most simple things sometimes, and she had little aptitude for writing. I suppose that's why MENSA has such a long list of tests they accept.

Here's the surprising thing: I looked down the list and found that the SAT, as long as you took it before 1994, is one of the tests they accept. For the year I took the SAT, the lowest score they accept is 1250. Guess what? I scored 1340.

So here's a question for you: should I join? Just because I can? Now would be the time, because they're waiving the $30 fee this month. Should I go hang out with smart people every so often? This year they're gathering at my favorite place in the world: Disney World! Then again, Florida in August? Like I said, sometimes there's a lack of common sense!

No comments:

Post a Comment