Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Snow day!

Today we are finally getting the snow for which I have been waiting all winter! We've had little flurries here and there, and even as much as half an inch total, but now we're getting a full-fledged winter storm!

I don't know why I love snow so much. Maybe it's the way it makes everything white and pretty. The world looks new and clean and fresh. Maybe it's the anticipation of taking the boys outside, packing down the snow on the hill, and sledding. Or trying out those second-hand skis we picked up. Maybe it's memories of when I was little and the snow drifts were taller than I was, and my dad thought it was funny to throw the cat into them (and it was). Maybe it's the silence, that all that water can fall from the sky and not make a sound.

Our homeschool co-op is canceled today because local schools are closed. And it's just as well because my oldest has been sick and I wasn't going to go. So now the kids won't miss anything. I'll have to check our policy - I think we have one snow day, so we extend the semester one week. Anyway, it's a good day to teach the boys about snow and seasons and things like that. And if it's deep enough, we can even make snow cream! Yummy!

5 comments:

  1. Poor cat! ;-)
    I love snow. We don't get enough of it round here, although we did have some last week.
    Is snow cream like icecream, only made with snow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to eat fresh clean snow! I literally pack some into a nice big cup, take it inside, and eat it with a spoon. Yeah, I know, I'm strange :-)

    I hope your oldest gets to feelin' better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so crazy - considering it is 56°F here and I have crocus blooming. I swear it! Crocus! Can you believe that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE that you know what snow cream is........everybody up here looks at me like I have 2 heads when I talk about it....

    ReplyDelete