Monday, March 27, 2006

I am an Alien Life Form


I was talking to my father the other day and I mentioned how many dishes the kids have broken recently (4 bowls, 2 saucers, a plate, a glass, and my favorite mug). And he says, "That's why you were raised on Melmac."

I instantly recognized the name of Alf's home planet. This explains so much. I have always had such a fondness for science fiction, and the study of astronomy and space exploration. Now it all makes sense.

But what does this have to do with dishes? Is gravity different on Melmac? Maybe when you drop something there, it bounces. Maybe the dishes there are made of some sort of unbreakable material.

Unbreakable material. Hmmm...

"Dad, ALF was from Melmac. Do you mean melamine?"

"Right, melamine."

So much for my alien connection.

(In all fairness, melamine dishes are in fact manufactured under the brand name Melmac and it was purely my ignorance of this fact that led me to think, however briefly, that I was raised by aliens. This in no way detracts from the silliness of the conversation.)

(And if you go to the above link, you learn that Alf's home planet was made of Melmac, a fact which may come in handy some day if you're ever in a trivia competition and that question comes up. You're welcome in advance.)

No comments:

Post a Comment