Thursday, December 22, 2005

Christmas traditions

Yesterday's post got me thinking about all the things we used to do every Christmas when I was growing up. My parents always made every Christmas special and exciting. Our tree would either be in the basement family room or in the living room. When we went to bed Christmas Eve, there would be a bunch of presents already under the tree, from my parents. We always opened one present the night before, and it was always a new pair of pajamas. The next morning, we knew there would be a bunch more, from "Santa." My brother and I would go to our separate bedrooms in our new p.j.'s and toss and turn waiting for morning.

As soon as the sun was up, I would spring out of bed and run into my parents' room. To go near the tree before Dad got his lights and cameras ready was strictly forbidden. We would bounce on their bed until they got up, and then Dad would go out and prepare to record the big entrance.

When he gave the word, my brother and I would run into the room where the tree was. We would then start exclaiming joyfully over the sheer volume of presents that had appeared under the tree since the night before. I have watched some of the videos, and I appear to have springs in my feet. I just bounced up and down, up and down! Now I know where the boys get it!

After opening presents, and consuming vast amounts of Christmas cookies, we would pack up and prepare to go to my maternal grandmother's. It was a 2 1/2 hour drive, so I would always pack some of the books I'd gotten (I always got books). We usually arrived around 2 or 3 in the afternoon and my grandmother would cook a wonderful meal for everyone: my family, my three aunts and their husbands, and my eight cousins. Then we would gather around the tree and exchange presents. We drew names every year so we only had to buy for one person, and it was a surprise who had your name. We had such fun opening the gifts. Then we would all ten dash to the family room to open our stockings, which would be stuffed to overflowing with apples, oranges, candy and little gifts.

Usually we spent the night and then traveled home the next day. Sometimes my cousins would sleep over, too, and we'd stay up half the night goofing around. Now they all stay in hotels or go back to their own homes. But at least I know that Christmas is the one time of year I'll get to see them. We still go to my grandmother's every year.

I hope that my boys have fond memories of Christmas, too.

1 comment:

  1. We all have our own special traditions that we look forward to going through each year.

    ReplyDelete