Monday, August 28, 2006

First day of school!

As we begin another new school year here at my house, I once again look forward to all the new and exciting things my sons and I are going to study together, and at the same time question my own sanity for doing this. My oldest is in fifth grade this year, my second is now in 2nd grade, and my third son will be learning preschoolish stuff like letters and numbers, plus participating in art projects with his brothers. The baby will most likely just be screaming for attention.

The comment I get most often from moms who don't homeschool is, "I just wouldn't have the patience for that," or some variation thereof. Let me let you all in on a little secret. I don't have the patience for that either! I can guarantee you that at least once a week I will threaten one of the boys by saying something like, "If you do that again, I'm driving you to the nearest school and throwing you through the front doors and they can deal with you!" I've actually been on the phone calling the local school district a couple of times. But I always stop.

Why do I stop? Sometimes I'm not sure. But I do know one thing: No one in any school anywhere is going to give my boys the time and attention that I can give them. When I hear about kids who spend all day at school and then they still have three hours of homework at night, I just feel so bad for them. When do they have time to be kids? When my kids are done for the day, they're done! I know they're happy that way.

Being a mom is all about sacrifice. Sure, I'm sacrificing my own free time, the ability to have a spotless house, the mornings of leisurely sipping coffee and watching Regis & Kelly. But that's okay. I'm gaining so much.

I know homeschooling is not for everyone. And certainly if you go into it thinking you're going to fail, there's no point in trying. But I also think that if you're willing to really try and make it work, you will be amazed at what you find you can do. I know I have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment