Monday, August 29, 2005

First day of school!

Naturally, I take every day as an opportunity to teach my kids, but today is the first day since June that I am going to sit down and "do school" with them. Isaac is very excited because he will be learning his letters, numbers, colors and the like. The other two are a little less excited; they've been having a fun summer and hate to see unlimited free play time end.

Caleb is in fourth grade this year. I need to spend some time catching him up on his math. He understands all the concepts we've covered, but he has yet to memorize his basic facts. I'm not worried though. He wasn't reading at the end of first grade, so I repeated first grade language arts with him and now he reads at a 7th grade level.

Joshua is in first grade now. He is still learning phonics, but has already begun to apply what he knows and can read quite a bit on his own. He says math is his favorite subject, but he also loves art, particularly when we paint. No doubt he'll be creating many masterpieces this year.

And Noah, of course, is concentrating on learning to walk. He's cruising now, walking from object to object while holding on. It's only a matter of time.

And one of the really nice parts of homeschooling is I didn't have to buy new clothes or pack lunches.

No comments:

Post a Comment