Thursday, August 11, 2005

The penguins go marching one by one...

My parents took me and the kids to see March of the Penguins yesterday. It is a truly amazing film. Don't go expecting a cute kids' movie; it is 100% documentary. But the kids were really interested in it. And I thought only an hour had passed, when it was actually an hour and a half.

The things these penguins go through just to have one baby are unbelievable. If humans had to go through all that, the race would die out. It makes me ashamed of all the complaining I did about pregnancy! Sure, I was tired and my feet hurt, but at least I didn't have to walk 70 miles and not eat for 4 months straight!

If you go to the website, you can see short clips from the film and get an idea of what it's like. It's beautifully filmed and edited, and you won't believe how close the film makers got to these penguins. Also, if you're homeschooling, this is a solid hour and a half science lesson. You will come away, as my dad said, knowing "more about penguins than I ever wanted to know."

5 comments:

  1. LOL - I like your Dad's quote.

    Nick keeps begging to go see this but last time we went to the movies we were out over $50. That's just ridiculous.

    I took them to see a free movie yesterday. A movie theater 20 minutes from here has free movies at 10 am on Tues and Wednesdays during the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We tried to go to the free movie but we were too late. It wasn't Hagerstown you went to, was it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait until we can see it. We don't do theaters much since we have to go to the next county to go to one, but I will definitely pick it up when it comes out on DVD. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG.... I got your Email and Emailed back. ROFL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jana, I live in southern Australia - not all that far from Antarctica where the penguins live. When it gets very, very cold people say "it is so cold you can smell the penguin s--t"!

    ReplyDelete