Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Mommy abuse

Having four boys, I've gotten used to sporting my share of black and blue marks. There are times it looks like I've been attacked by tiny martial arts experts intent on stopping their much larger adversary by kicking said adversary repeatedly in the shins. Right at this moment I see three bruises on my legs, and that's without really searching. I'm not saying they do this on purpose. They don't. It doesn't make it hurt any less!

Now, I expect this from the older three. But I never expected the baby to start so soon. He has started pinching me. It's usually when I'm nursing him, but he does it other times too. He puts his little thumb and forefinger against my skin and then squeezes as hard as he can squeeze! It reminds me very much of the time I was pinched by a crab. If I grab his hand, he pulls it free and pinches again. And if it's while he's nursing, he's pinching a very sensitive place, let me tell you! I look like I fell chest-first into that lobster tank at the grocery store.

So if someone has a solution for pinching babies, please share! I'd say I want to nip this in the bud, but that just sounds like more pinching to me.

4 comments:

  1. Oh man do I know what you're talking about! I feel beat up and I only have two boys!

    As for the pinching, this will sound childish and mean... and is very controversial, but I pinch back...

    This is easier to say than to do but don't react to the pinch. (I know. LOL.)... I think that's what they're looking for when they do that. They want you to yelp and jump. Try to refrain. Then I would pinch him back so he knew exactly what he was doing - what it felt like.... He stopped doing it after a few times.

    I did the same thing with biting. (Boy, I'm going to get hate mail.) I didn't even break the skin, but that only took 1 time and he never did that again either.

    I think they just don't realize they're inflicting pain. When they understand that they are, they won't do it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure how to stop it....Ethan did that for awhile and I just acted shocked and moved his hand. It eventually stopped, but now that he is bigger, so are the assaults on mommie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jana, I never really had that problem with my boys until they got older, only it wasn't pinching, it was fighting, knock down drag out fighting. I would try to get in between them and make them go to their rooms until they calmed down.
    I wanted to tell you about a new recipe I tried. Maybe you have heard of it, but I haven't. It is Zucchini Pie. You substitue zucchini for apples. It is really good. I also added raisins and a handful of walnuts. I did the chili recipe it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jana, I have got the same problem with my baby. He recently started pinching me on the face. OWWW it hurts!

    I tried telling him no-no, but that just makes him giggle. (Ugh, I see I am going to have problems with this one! LOL!) I also pinched him back on his arm last week. Not too hard, but enough to make him wince. He hasn't pinched me since. I had never had to do that with the other boys, so I felt really guilty about doing it to the baby. But, on the bright side, it has worked so far!

    ReplyDelete