Monday, August 08, 2005

Pass me that gun - and a razor



Hubby and I had been hearing a lot about the TV series 24, so we decided to order the first three seasons on DVD. Ever since it arrived, we have watched nothing else. Keep in mind, I'm talking about 72 hours of television, and that doesn't include any of the special features! We are thoroughly enjoying the shows - we just started season three last night. However, I couldn't help but notice a few interesting things.

There are the obvious things, of course. For example, when do these people eat? Do they really go 24 hours straight without food? Or do they gobble their meals while the cameras are elsewhere? You never see a bathroom break, unless someone is going to the bathroom to make a secret phone call. And it goes without saying that no one sleeps in 24 hours.

Then there are the bigger things. Why don't these people look like they've been up for 24 hours straight? Jack Bauer looks just as fresh during hour 18 as he did during hour 1. In the first season, the kidnapped wife and daughter look none the worse for wear after an entire day in a barn. I guarantee you if I wore the same clothes for 24 hours straight, you would be able to tell.

I imagine this show's concept is a nightmare for the continuity people. I mean, you have all these actors shooting an episode over the course of a week or so which take place on screen in only an hour. Everything has to look as though only an hour has passed. And I imagine that's why they next thing I'm going to mention has been ignored: the men on this show do not grow facial hair. Unless they've already got a beard at the beginning, no one gets one. There are no five o'clock shadows to be found. I know it's totally a continuity thing; it's easier to pretend they have no facial hair than it is to make sure every actor's growth is the same from day to day. Still, it's funny to think about in the show's context.

"Mr. President, there is a nuclear bomb in Los Angeles."

"I'll be right there as soon as I shave, Jack."

Having said all that, I still am thoroughly enjoying this show. It's definitely edge-of-your-seat entertainment. I would recommend watching it on tv, though, as opposed to the DVDs. It's really hard not to watch the next episode when it's right there in front of you. And the next, and the next, and the next...

4 comments:

  1. My Mom is into that show but I can't invest the time in it. LOL. I'm already eagerly awaiting LOST. That show is the best.

    You bring up good points with the show 24.... I love programs that make you use your head a little :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh but at least you don't have to watch any commercials! You are actually SAVING time because you get to watch it all uninterrupted!
    I've never watched it, but it sounds good

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, sounds like I am going to haev to look into getting those DVD's. I have watched a few episodes on tv but then I started a job that works me 40+ hours a week in the evening. So i missed quite a few. So i will have to look into getting those! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tee - I can't wait for Lost either. I'm still trying to convince hubby to buy Season 1 on DVD, for the commentary.

    Sandy - that's true, that's what makes it so hard to stop watching - we can watch the whole 24 hours uninterrupted. Ack!

    April - thanks for stopping by and you're welcome for the review. Now I'm waiting for Season 4 to come out on DVD!

    ReplyDelete