Tuesday, July 18, 2006

In "Other" Words - 7/18



The one enduring lesson of womanhood that Christian author, Mary Pierce, learned from her rag doll, Lulu:

"When life whacks you so hard your head flies off, sew it back on and keep going."
~ Mary Pierce ~
I think this is the Mom's Credo. Seriously. It doesn't matter what is happening to me personally, psychologically or physically, I am still Mommy. I still have to get up in the morning, get the kids up, make breakfast, do laundry, and all those other million little things moms do. Sometimes, I know I'm not putting my all into it. I know I could be doing better. I know I'm just hanging on by a few rapidly unraveling threads. But I keep going.

And something amazing happens. Slowly but surely, those threads grow stronger. What I have rapidly sewn together in an attempt to just make it through the day is strengthened by my family. Every "Mommy, I love you," adds a thread. Every time my sons say dinner was yummy, or my husband does a load of wash for me, or I get hugs and kisses for no reason, those threads grow stronger. And then the next time life whacks me, it's not so hard to hold onto my head.

3 comments:

  1. This is my first visit here...had a hard time moving past Johnny Depp to read your post though :)...

    I realized reading your post that maybe that is why my head seems to be hanging on by a thread lately....my family hasn't paid attention to the fact that my threads are unraveling...I turn to God and certainly He keeps me walking steadily..but I sure would love the support of my family. Perhaps I should just let my head fall completely off and hand it to them...then they would be sure to notice....ya think??? :) Great post....and Johnny's not bad either :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was such a sweet entry. It really touched me! I can be having the most horrendous day but my son can give me a sweet kiss on the cheek & it makes it all better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great reminder of all the ways that those threads can be strengthened by the love of family! Enjoyed reading your post. :)

    ReplyDelete