Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Mardi Gras recipe for Tee

I mentioned this recipe on Tee's blog, and now she's asked me to post it. So here it is. This is something my great-grandmother used to make, which my mom then made all the time (and still does), and which has become a favorite of my husband and my boys. It's called Mardi Gras, but I don't know why. Anyway, here it is:

Mardi Gras
In a large casserole dish combine the following ingredients:
1 1/3 cups Minute Rice
1 cup water
1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
1 can tuna or chicken
1 tsp oregano
cayenne pepper to taste

Then, over medium high heat in a saucepan:
1/2 stick butter
3 Tbsp flour
Stir until blended. Slowly add 1 can evaporated milk, stirring until thickened. Slowly add 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, stirring until melted. Pour the cheese mixture over the casserole. Sprinkle the top of the casserole with paprika. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.

I usually use fat-free cheese and evap. milk to lower the fat content. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I have GOT to try that!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee - do you think I'm a bit behind? LOL. Thanks for posting this. I copied it. I'll have to make it sometime when Carlos isn't hungry. He's anti-casserole. (Which sucks because I LOVE casseroles.)

    ReplyDelete