Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Making it up

Well, at the risk of boring my Dad some more, let's do makeup tips today, shall we? I didn't wear makeup until I was 25, except for at the pageant I was in and at my wedding. But now there are certain things I won't do without if I'm going out in public for any extended period of time. Certainly my way of applying makeup is not the only way, but it has worked well for me for ten years. In fact, when I taught a class at my homeschool co-op on Image for Girls, my class helper was a Mary Kay consultant, and she had never been taught some of these things. So, here we go.
  • When choosing a foundation, select several colors that are close to your skin tone. Put a stripe of each color along your jawline. The one that disappears is the correct one for you. We've all seen women who are wearing an orange "mask" - don't be one!
  • Apply foundation from the forehead down. This smooths down all the little hairs that, like it or not, are all over your face, and keeps them invisible.
  • Blush should be applied starting at the little triangle in your ear and sweeping forward. Avoid cheek "balls" and emphasize cheek bones!
  • Your "natural" blush color is the same color as the inside of your lip. Choose a color close to that for the most natural look.
  • Eyeliner should be applied from the outer edge of the eye in. The top lid should be lined all the way across. The bottom lid should be lined 1/2 to 2/3 of the way. The longer the bottom line, the smaller your eye will look.
  • If you use eyeshadow, apply it after the liner. There are many different ways to do shadow. Experiment and find the one that works best for you.
  • A translucent powder, if you use one, should be brushed on from the forehead down before you apply lipstick. I use one to set my makeup and reduce shine.
  • Lipstick is as much eye makeup as it is lip makeup. Don't forget it! Using a lip liner first can reduce feathering.
  • If people compliment your makeup, you should tone down the colors. People should notice you, not your makeup!
That's about all the advice I can give online. I used to do makeup for Glamour Photos so I'm pretty good at the one on one thing, but obviously that's not going to work here! I hope this helps somebody!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Jana! I picked up some good tips! :)

    When you going to post Mardi Gras recipe that you mentioned on my blog! :P~ LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am now encountering a new problem, due to aging: my upper lid is puffy enough & my lashes short enough that I have trouble putting mascara on without getting it on my lid! Any solutions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori - that's a tough one. I'd have to see you in person to tell for sure what to do. This may sound odd, but my first thought would be to put the mascara on first, then cover anything that got on your lid with eye shadow.

    ReplyDelete