Thursday, July 20, 2006

Summer vacation

One of the little perks of teaching my children at home is the ability to observe the summer vacation. I remember so fondly the years of my own schooling, when we'd get down to the last few days in June and I knew summer was coming. As much as I loved school (yes, I was a freak), I looked forward to three months of time off, to do my own thing on my own time.

Well, now that my own kids are school age and I teach them at home, I get that same feeling every year. I know some people school year round, and certainly we do educational things year round, but I really crave that summer vacation time, when I don't have to be the task master and we can all just relax. The boys get to do what they want, when they want. And I get to take on projects I just don't have time for during the school year, like assigning Dewey decimal numbers to all my books in a database (Shut up - I know I'm a freak).

So while many people who send their children to school outside the home scramble to think of things to do in the summer, for me it's just the opposite. I get to take time for me. And that's the best summer vacation of all!

8 comments:

  1. Hi, Jana! Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving such a lovely comment about my entry for "In Other Words". I appreciated it very much! It's been interesting going around and reading everyones' take on this particular quote, how it's inspired all of us in so many different ways. Hope this finds you having a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is actually some great advice. I know you didn't mean it that way, but I plan on following your lead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone needs a break - especially during the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom home schooled me one year. I'm not even sure my daughters knew that.

    I learned more from her then all my other teachers.
    But..... I didn't know about the smell of chalk dust. That is something every kids needs to experience at least once. (Maybe schools don't smell like chalk dust anymore?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pamela - sadly I think most schools smell like dry-erase markers now. But we do use chalk sometimes here at home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jana, Thanks for your encouraging words at my place :). I think you're incredible to have the perspective you do with homeschooling AND taking a break from the daily grind. I've never felt "called" to that ministry to my kids, but they seem to love it when I sub at their school (well, sometimes ;) ). Don't you think God sanctions change just by the "change" in creation? And growth? And faith? and ourselves?

    Change...transformation...a break from routine--they're ALL good (eventually anyway ;) Romans 8:28 girl that you are!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robin - I'm really starting to believe that no matter how frustrating it gets, I just won't be happy if I'm not home schooling. Why? Because God has laid it on my heart to do so. Much like the Christian life, it's not easy. But for me, it's right. I agree with you - change and growth are good, though they can be painful. You're absolutely right.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I couldnt' agree with you more. I think I count down the days to summer break more than the kids. I enjoy catching up on those same type of projects but then I also just get to veg out with the kids and typically we don't follow too much of a schedule.

    ReplyDelete