Tuesday, July 25, 2006

In "Other" Words - 7/25

"One cannot collect all the beautiful shells
on the beach. One can collect only a few,
and they are more beautiful if they are few."
~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh ~
At the risk of answering a quote with another quote, this reminded me of a favorite Rockapella song of mine. The songwriter compares moments in time to diamonds:

Diamonds - that's what they are
These memories we're making now
I can't explain it well, but this I know,
They will never lose their glow.
Diamonds, that's what they are,
Our love will never let us down,
Think of the brilliant moments yet to come
All of them diamonds...
God has given us amazing brains that can store vast quantities of information. But just like the little girl whose basket can hold only so many seashells, we are not capable of holding every moment in time in our conscious memories. Many times I've been told about something that happened to me or something I did in the past and I honestly can't remember it. It doesn't even ring the faintest of bells. The other day, I came across a letter I wrote to a temp agency I was working for years ago. I described my job duties so the agency would know how to bill the company I was working for. As I read the letter, I had absolutely no recollection of that job! I must have spent many weeks of my life there, but I don't remember it! Clearly, it was not one of my seashell moments!

As my children grow, I often wish I could collect every little thing they say and do and keep those moments forever. Sure, video and photographs help somewhat, but I still miss so much. And I know I won't remember it all. I can remember the most ridiculous trivia facts, but I easily forget that cute thing my four year old said. But the things I do remember, those things will become my seashells, my diamonds. I will hold them in my heart, I will look at them in my mind's eye, and I will treasure them.

3 comments:

  1. I just get soooo sidetracked by your pirate!!! I really like that about the diamonds....now back to that pirate :) .... Just kidding, I literally have tried to save everything since when my daughter was born...that's why I am an avid scrapbooker....to me, all my moments with her are my diamond moments...but our brain can only hold so much....sorry got sidetracked again by that pirate...or should I say kidnapped??? Make it a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In reading how you related to this quote, I think of Jesus' mother and the statment of her: "And Mary pondered these things in her heart."

    Yes, so often I wish I would have written down things my children have said . . . some things quite profound.

    Thank you for sharing so uniquely with this quote. I enjoyed reading yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too thought of Mary, pondering these thoughts in her heart. Such precious memories - my teens love to share their memories with me - you are making your own family history..

    Thanks for a lovely post..

    ReplyDelete