Monday, July 10, 2006

There's nothing funny about pirates

As I was recalling several funny moments from The Movie, and proudly showing Hubby my new blog template, he said to me, "You know, there's nothing funny about pirates."

Yes, I realize that. I completely understand that Disney's pirate movies bear almost no resemblance to the historical facts of piracy on the high seas. I know that real pirates didn't go around cracking jokes and fighting each other on rolling water wheels. I. Don't. Care. In much the same way that I don't care that the future shown in Star Trek will never happen, or that the leaves on the Swiss Family Robinson's tree in Disney World are made of vinyl, or that there never was a Middle Earth. It's just fun to let yourself go to that make-believe place, where it just doesn't matter. Let go of reality and just enjoy the entertainment.

As Uhura said in Star Trek 3, "This isn't reality. This is fantasy."

And if they want to put Orlando in a leather coat and pirate boots for two and a half hours, that's my kind of fantasy. I'm just sayin'.

2 comments:

  1. LOL - See my comment in your post above this one.

    I love your hubby's comment and the last sentence of your entry.

    I am wondering why this movie is being aimed at little kids? I haven't seen it yet but I don't think that it's a kids movie, right? Wal-Mart had a huge display of new toys and McDonalds is giving away stuff in the Happy Meals. Nick (age 7) wants to see it so bad. He'll have to wait until I see it first and then maybe on DVD, but I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, it's definitely NOT for kids. I think it's much scarier than the first one, and I haven't let my ten year old see the first one yet.

    ReplyDelete