Friday, May 11, 2007

SPF - A handful

This week, Kristine's assignment is a handful of something.

I hear it every time I go out. First, it's "Are they all yours?" and then when I confirm that, yes, they are, I get (Every.Single.Time.), "Wow, you've really got your hands full!"

Like this is something I haven't noticed. So my standard reply is, "They keep me busy." Which is a polite way of saying, "Just because you couldn't handle it doesn't mean I can't."

And then yesterday, I got this one: "Four boys? Gonna try for a girl next?" Let's examine the idiocy of this question. Was anyone out there aware that, barring expensive procedures, we could actually CHOOSE? Holy cow, how did I miss this?

  1. So, in short, yes, I am busy. So is my friend who has four girls. Kids are work.
  2. Four kids is not so many. I know lots of people with more.
  3. You cannot decide ahead of time what you're having, boy or girl.
  4. No, we are not having any more.
  5. I love being the mom of all boys.
  6. Yes, occasionally I wish for a little girl to dress in pink and TKW's tutus.
  7. However, I would not trade one of my boys for her.
  8. And overall, my life is actually easier because all my kids are one gender.

Any questions? Next time you see someone with kids of all one gender, especially if it's three or more, say something intelligent. Like, "You are so lucky!" Those are the comments that make my day. Because, yeah, I am.

EDIT: And now I see that I was supposed to put something in my actual hand. Oh well. That's what happens when you look at the assignment on Friday morning.

18 comments:

  1. My best friend has 4 kids, 2 boys, 2 girls. The best part of 4 kids, all the fun you can have with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are sooo lucky. ;-)

    My Mum has five kids, 3 Boys and 2 Girls. Yeah, yeah.. we are not easy. And i said to her:"I wanna have boys". Think it´s easier, you know.

    Happy SPF and now i got a mail about your comment. So, wish you nice Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! You certinally do have your hands full - both of them - all the time! LOL
    Sure are adorable looking tho!
    Hope you get some quality 'mommy' time over the weekend. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jana, I love your adorable photo! I have five sons and a grandson, with one on the way!!! no regrets here!!!

    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  5. hehe
    my mom got that all the time too (but she had 8)

    Happy spf :) I played

    ReplyDelete
  6. As someone with no kids, I can understand that some people would be overwhelmed! Still, people should think before they speak :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't care if they are boys or girls I just wish I could have more! You ARE lucky! Happy SPF!

    I played.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute boys, that is a handful. I played too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its not the same, but I always get accusitory comments about my redhead. "Where did that come from anyway?" Its rude, its like, they dont know that hes not adopted, just like these people dont know that your kids arent adopted. I know theyre not, but I mean, its so much nicer to say "Oh wow, thats amazing," than "Dont you wish you had a girl?"

    Anyway, thanks for stopping by and happy SPF

    ReplyDelete
  10. SPF before coffee ;-)
    Hahaha, just kidding! Your boys are so cute, and I guess being a mom of 2, I realize it actually got easier with 2 because they occupy each other!
    Oh, and I played too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! I get the "handful" comment with only two kids! People are funny sometimes, aren't they?

    Since I adopted, if people ask me if I'm going to "try for more," I usually say, "Yes, I'd like to get both a boy and a girl next time." It always confuses them a little. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think having all boys is great! I can see how it would be easier having all of one sex. They certainly are cuties! :-)

    Have a great weekend and thanks for stopping by mine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Boys take great care of their mamas so you are lucky. :)

    Happy Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the women who really have their hands full are those who have multiple births - you know, twins, triplets, septuplets, whatever - I just try and envision how utterly exhausted they must be during the newborn stage and how completely wiped out they are during the toddler stage....

    Having kids spaced apart makes it somewhat easier. 3 year olds CAN entertain themselves - it's just helping them find toys and NOT mommy's make-up!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I could go on and on with this one. I have four boys too and what kills me is they tell you have your hands full and then in the same breath ask you if your gonna try for a girl. But I also have IDENTICAL twins who dress exactly alike and people ask me if they are twins????

    ReplyDelete
  16. Although the comments may get tiring to you... I think people mean well. They are trying to be friendly, to talk, to start a conversation or just be human each other.

    I had the comments as well (I had all three kids in 5 years). But even I would probably say "going to try for a girl next!?" and it's just a comment meaning to be silly, funny, friendly or just something to say.

    Don't take offense. I'm sure they mean nothing by it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well I think you were very creative with this one :)

    Thanks for stopping by mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Even if I just have the twins with me, people will always say the same thing to me too "you sure have your hands full!"

    ReplyDelete