I hear it every time I go out. First, it's "Are they all yours?" and then when I confirm that, yes, they are, I get (Every.Single.Time.), "Wow, you've really got your hands full!"
Like this is something I haven't noticed. So my standard reply is, "They keep me busy." Which is a polite way of saying, "Just because you couldn't handle it doesn't mean I can't."
And then yesterday, I got this one: "Four boys? Gonna try for a girl next?" Let's examine the idiocy of this question. Was anyone out there aware that, barring expensive procedures, we could actually CHOOSE? Holy cow, how did I miss this?
- So, in short, yes, I am busy. So is my friend who has four girls. Kids are work.
- Four kids is not so many. I know lots of people with more.
- You cannot decide ahead of time what you're having, boy or girl.
- No, we are not having any more.
- I love being the mom of all boys.
- Yes, occasionally I wish for a little girl to dress in pink and TKW's tutus.
- However, I would not trade one of my boys for her.
- And overall, my life is actually easier because all my kids are one gender.
Any questions? Next time you see someone with kids of all one gender, especially if it's three or more, say something intelligent. Like, "You are so lucky!" Those are the comments that make my day. Because, yeah, I am.
EDIT: And now I see that I was supposed to put something in my actual hand. Oh well. That's what happens when you look at the assignment on Friday morning.