Monday, May 15, 2006

Fuel for blogging




Recently I received a package. I love packages. But not half as much as I love what was in this one: coffee! Six different kinds of coffee, representing Boca Java's new Blogger's Fuel line of coffees. They have asked me to review them for my readers, which I am more than happy to do.

I was impressed with the packaging of the coffees right away. Each blend has its own attractive, blogging-related graphic. Every package is stamped with a roasting date. None of them had been roasted more than a week before I got them. The coffee comes in half-pound packages, each with it's own resealable zipper to keep it fresh.

The first type I tried was Late Night Log In. I was a little concerned when I saw how dark the roast of this coffee was. It's so hard to find a coffee which is both dark-roasted and smooth, without an ashy taste. The aroma of this blend is wonderful. I used one tablespoon of beans for each cup of water, and ground the beans mere moments before brewing them. Almost right away, my house smelled like a coffee shop. I waited until it was fully brewed before pouring a cup, to allow all the flavor of the beans to come through. This coffee produces a nice, dark brew, a deep translucent brown with a rich, full aroma. The first sip was a pleasant surprise. Far from being too strong or burned-tasting, it had a deep, full flavor with plenty of body. I waited for the ashy aftertaste, but it never came. This coffee has a nice, smooth finish and a pleasant, nutty aftertaste. Sip after sip, it only got better. I would definitely buy this coffee.

The next kind I tried was the Bloggers Pajama Passion blend, a vanilla, kahlua and caramel flavored coffee. The aroma of this coffee is wonderful. I could tell I was in for a treat. Using the same ratio of coffee to water as before yielded a medium brew with a subtle aroma. I have to say that I didn't enjoy this coffee as much as the first kind. The flavors I expected based on the scent of the beans just didn't come through in the brewing. It was good coffee, but not as good as I expected. My husband, however, had some the next morning, cold (which is how he usually drinks his coffee) and said that the flavors were very evident and he really enjoyed it.

The third type I tried was the Blogs of Bravery blend, a combination of light and dark-roasted beans. It has a nice, hearty aroma, and you can see the two different types of beans in the package. Again using the one-to-one ratio, I brewed a pot. It yielded a dark brew (though not as dark as the Late Night Log In) with a full aroma. This coffee was wonderful, full-bodied, but not too strong, with a nice finish. It has a pleasant aftertaste and is just as good once it's cooled off as it is piping hot.

Next I sampled Bloggers Beach Blast, which promised a hint of chocolate kiss and caramel. Using the same brewing ratio yielded a nice, medium brew with a sweet aroma. From the first taste, I was hooked. The caramel flavor comes through nicely in the brewing, and the aftertaste has just enough of a chocolate flavor to keep me craving that next sip. This blend moves to the top of my must-buy list.

The fifth blend is called New Media Mavericks, a medium roast of Tarrazu beans. Since I don't normally drink medium roasts, I wasn't all that impressed. It is good coffee, if you like plain coffee. It has a nice, nutty taste, but not a lot of subtle flavoring.

Finally, I sampled the Bloggers Boot Up Blend, a breakfast blend. This is a nice, strong coffee, when brewed at the one-to-one ratio. From the first sip, I could tell it's a great pick-me-up for those slow mornings. It has a bold coffee flavor, with a smooth finish and a non-bitter aftertaste. This is probably the best breakfast blend I've ever had.

So, there you have it! Click on that button at the top of this post to go get your own! Plus I've added their button to my sidebar. I will definitely be getting myself some more Bloggers Fuel, and you should too, if you love coffee like I do! (And incidentally, all these flavors are available in decaf).

1 comment:

  1. I just filled in the registration form. I'm in Canada, though, and no provinces were provided ... so I listed NY since it was the closest state. I betcha I won't get any. Toronto, NY? Will they figure it out??

    ReplyDelete