Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Tick, tick, tick

My lawn is rapidly turning into a jungle. Our riding mower, which we bought in Louisiana (so that's about 12 years ago) has a broken part and we're having trouble replacing it. So the mower sits unused, and the grass continues to grow.

The shagginess of the lawn does not bother me. But the creatures which have arrived to make a home in our newly grown jungle kind of scare me. For one, ticks. We have seen so many ticks this year it's not even funny. Every one of us has had at least one tick on us, and all three of the older boys have at least one a day. Even when the lawn was short, it was pretty bad. We spread tick killer on the lawn. It's still bad.

I have had dreams about ticks almost every night. And when I try to sleep, I keep getting that creepy crawly feeling like there's something on me. I have to check every little itch to make sure it's not a tick. Talk about your skin crawling!

The dog and cat don't seem to bring in many of them, oddly enough. Our neighbor's cat must be tastier fare. He's always got a few hitchhikers.

I just want tick season to be over. Reason #22 why I love winter.

1 comment:

  1. We have ticks, ticks, ticks too. I'm telling you, it really ticks me off! You should get some guinea fowl. They really do a number on the tick population, and if you can't be rid of the shaggy lawn, you can at least be rid of the ticks.

    ReplyDelete