Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Be responsible - have more children

Hubby told me about this story. Apparently, because of the low birth rate (less than 2.1 children per woman) in some European countries and Japan, their population is actually declining. In Germany, there are too few people to keep the sewer systems running properly and the wolves out of the city. There are literally packs of wolves moving closer and closer to Berlin because there aren't as many populated areas as there used to be. In Japan, according to this article, they have had to close more than two thousand schools because of lack of children. If something isn't done to reverse this trend, the Japanese will eventually be extinct.

Now, I don't know about you other moms of more than two, but we have been told that we are being "irresponsible" by having so many children. Supposedly, they are going to tax our nation's resources beyond their limitations. But honestly, is it more responsible to decrease the population? We need more young people, not less. I could go on, but the article really does a better job of explaining the whole thing. I just thought that everyone like me who get the "responsibility" speech should have this information.

And no, I'm not planning on having any more!

6 comments:

  1. Don't you love the way people feel the need to lecture us on the use or unuse of our uterus'? Or is that uerti? In any event, I used to get the opposite lecture on how horrible a mom I was because I only had one.

    But sheesh. Four children, and you're "irresponsible"? What, your four boys are going to be personally responsible for depleting the planet of all it's natural resources, plunging us all into some type of Road-Warrior-esque existence where we need to forage for food? Please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yes! here in hong kong and in singapore, they are encouraged by their government to procreat more 'coz some time in the future, there won't be any singaporeans or hong kong-ers left.

    it amazes me 'coz back in the philippines, it's always STOP POPULATING! LOL! but here in HK, there really are a few kids. i see more seniors rather than little kids each day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This irresponsible mommy is happy she churned out three kids. Not to mention the step-daughter I got too.

    If I could have more later, I might. (The Deputy says no though.) Remember the large happy families of yesteryear? Thats how I would like my family to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did my share of replenishing new souls. I am waiting for my sons to start reproducing. With only one grandson out of 3 sons, I am starting to wonder, hey, what's the hold up guys. Good story find.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WarpedTourMom - yes, it's amazing how people feel totally free to criticize others' reproductive decisions! And on the one hand, I get, "You've got too many kids," and on the other hand I get, "When are you trying for a girl?" Sheesh!

    Chris - I love large families, too. But I just can't be pregnant again. I mean, I could, but I don't want to, LOL.

    Military Mom - My mother-in-law had 4 children, and so far hubby is the only one with kids! I'm sure you'll get more grandkids eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohhhhh, I stopped one woman in her tracks when I gave her a little geography lesson, and a population retake.

    Gosh, drive around in the US, and you'll find TONS of open places, we're not crowded at all..When she learned just how much space in the US would be taken up, if we comfortably lived in a certain area, she had nothing left to say.. LOL

    - M proud mom of 4

    ReplyDelete