Tuesday, July 05, 2005

How was your weekend?

After only one week of the older boys being home again, my house was a disaster. I'm not sure how they could make so much mess in only seven days, but they did. So hubby and I brought them downstairs yesterday morning and told them that the mess must be cleaned up or they could not go swimming.

Now you'll remember that we just got the pool set up. And it was about 85 degrees and sunny yesterday. They really wanted to go swimming. You would think that this would be sufficient motivation for them to clean up quickly. I could have done it in less than an hour.

Three hours later, they still weren't done. It was just a pile of toys and cups and other things that had been thrown on the floor and left there. But for some reason this was just too difficult a task for three able-bodied boys to perform. After a while, they started getting hungry. So I told them they couldn't eat until they were done cleaning. This caused an even louder cacophony of whining and crying.

Finally, around 3:30 p.m., they finished. Then it was my turn to clean the floor. But once that task was completed, we had a nice evening with hubby's two brothers. They brought food and we had a cookout, then we made smores and watched the fireworks from town. And of course, the boys got to go swimming.

So how was your weekend?

1 comment:

  1. Go Mom Go! No food or drink until the house is in order! You know, we had the same problem yesterday. This place has been a disaster all week-end. The boys here kept telling me their arms were broke. Ugh. So I said, I would throw all their toys away. Nate said, go ahead. Then I threatened no fireworks, Ben said go ahead. THEN I dangled the freshly baked chocolate chip cookies over the trash. Voila, house is picked up. Amazing what the power of food can do.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete