Saturday, July 30, 2005

Summer bounty!

My lovely sister-in-law was here this past week and last night she and the kids, with a little help from me, harvested the bounty from our garden. I am truly amazed. I have never managed to get anything to grow from seeds all the way to fruit or vegetable before. We have string beans, corn, broccoli, yellow squash, zucchini and carrots! There are watermelons, pumpkins and canteloupes on the way. In the picture is just a small representation of what we picked from the bean and corn plants! Wow! I'm not bragging - I really feel like I had nothing to do with this. I'm just really happy it actually worked!

6 comments:

  1. Wow! That looks great! Isnt growing veggies the best! You're quite the farmer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice harvest. We need to get some recipes up on our blogs...Like how do you fix your green beans, squash, zuchinni(excuse the spelling)I need new recipes on how to fix these garden delicacies.
    Canning is always good, but I like to cook alot of these veggies fresh from the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful! We should always keep in mind how lucky we are that we live in areas where these things actually grow. The only plants that grew where I worked in Israel were weeds. I love gardening and only now I moved out of my city-appartment into my boyfriend's house with garden and right away started planting all kinds of stuff. Hopefully it'll turn out just half as nice as your veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!!!!!!!! Please oh PLEASE can I come over?!! I love me some veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jana you guys are doing great! Is that a squash already that I see?! YUM!

    Fresh veggies are the best and there is nothing like having something from your own garden. Mine is not looking so hot right now (because of my move), but it is still producing. We have froze 36 pints of beans and will freeze corn this week.

    Something I tried new this year... freezing zucchini. Look it up on the net, it is VERY easy to do. This way you could have some for bread, stew, etc. this winter.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stacie - that's just it, I'm a terrible farmer! I'm in shock!

    MilMom - when I get a chance, I'll put a few recipes up!

    Elli - yes, I feel very blessed to live in a fertile area!

    Sandy - sure, come on over! Plenty for all!

    Chris - Yep, one squash so far and more on the vine! I'm definitely going to look up freezing zucchini - mine are 5 pounds each, way more than I can eat in one summer!

    ReplyDelete