Monday, July 11, 2005

Younger looking skin?

I didn't have pimples when I was 16. I know this because I remember going to shop for concealer with my mom. I was going to be in the Miss T.E.E.N. Maryland pageant (the only pageant I was ever in, incidentally), and I needed something to cover up my birthmark, a large red splotch on my left temple. I specifically remember the saleslady saying to me, "And you can use this to cover acne, if you ever get any." So I know that at one time, I had clear skin.

I remember that when I started to get acne, I thought to myself, "Oh, well, it'll all be over by the time I'm 20."

I remember going to babysit a group of four siblings when I was 17. The oldest, age 9, opened the door and said, "What are all those red spots on your face?" Her father, probably age 35 or so, laughed. "Don't worry," he said, "when you get to be my age, you're happy to have pimples. They make you look younger."

So here I am, I'll be 35 in less than 3 months, and my skin, well, it still looks like a teenager's. This is not a good thing. I have tried creams, scrubs, masks, rinses, everything short of a prescription. I may even go the prescription route when I'm done breastfeeding. It's just my chin, really, but it's always there. I can't cover it up like I could my forehead. No, it's sticking out for all the world to see.

I would ask for suggestions, but whatever you've got, I've probably already tried it. I guess for now I should just be happy to have such youthful skin.

Now if I start getting wrinkles and pimples, that will be a whole different story.

3 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you are talking about. My problem....wrinkles and pimples. UGH!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i thought that pimples disappeared when you got to the twenties... but then, i still got them by the i was 24-25. i finally had help from a dermatologist and has remained pimple-free since.;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jana, I had adult acne too. All the way until I was almost thirty, I got sick of it and went to a dermatologist and got Accutane. It was really bad,dry lips and blood tests every month. I gave up well before the course of treatment ended but it WORKED and I dont' have acne like that anymore. It only took 2 months or maybe three. I'm so glad I did it.

    ReplyDelete