Tuesday, July 19, 2005

One day only - I blog about sports!

Back in the days before children, I went on a business trip with hubby to the lovely town of Hickory, North Carolina. While driving through town, we saw a Krispy Kreme donut shop. This was long before KK expanded all over the place. We didn't have one at home in Shreveport, Louisiana, so we stopped to get some sugary goodness.

While waiting my turn for the bathroom, I noticed some pictures on the wall of a minor league baseball team, the Hickory Crawdads. A lady came up behind me and said, "That's our team, the Crawdads." She was obviously very proud of them.

"You know," I said, "we have a basketball team in Shreveport called the Crawdads." They were part of the Continental Basketball Association, and had only been in town a couple of months.

"Oh, really?" she said. Clearly, she did not know that before I told her. She went on to regale me with her baseball team's statistics and history, until the bathroom was free. I thought that was the end of the story.

When we arrived home, it was all over the news. The Hickory Crawdads had decided that Shreveport could not use the name Crawdads, even though it was a completely different sport. The newscasters seemed baffled as to how Hickory even became aware of Shreveport's team. Hubby and I alone knew the answer to the mystery. Me and my big mouth.

Shortly thereafter, the team's name was changed. A few months after that, the team was disbanded. It seemed people had invested so much time, energy, and money buying team merchandise that they weren't willing to start all over again for a so-so team that just happened to have a different name.

Now, some people might say it was a coincidence. And maybe it was. But if so, it was a really big one. So I am coming clean. Forgive me, people of Shreveport. It was an honest mistake.

3 comments:

  1. just surfed by, and had to tell you that I am Jana also and spelled the same way! Weird, I have only been in the blog thing a short while and I found another Jana -- Love the beach heading

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL lots of Jana's coming by to say HI! Hope you're having a great night...Jana! :) Lotsa hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Might as well make it three Jana's in a row!

    Thanks for stopping by, Jana! And thanks for the comment, Jana!

    ReplyDelete