Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Happy Birthday, Joshua!

It was midnight, July 6, 1999. Hubby had just gotten home after being out of town all weekend. I had fought all night with my almost-3 year old, trying to get him to go to bed and stay there. I was exhausted. I sat down in front of the tv in our bedroom, and my water broke. I had been praying all weekend that I wouldn't go into labor until after Monday, and here we were one minute into Tuesday and I was going to have this baby!

We called my parents, who lived about an hour and a half away, and then got everything together. By the time we got checked into the hospital, things were well under way. I remember putting in a Quantum Leap video to watch between contractions. The hospital had just redone its maternity ward and every room had a VCR and a CD player! After a while, all I could do was breathe during the contractions, and rest between. I kept my eyes closed so I could concentrate. But I could still hear that video playing in the background. At one point, like a gift from heaven, I heard the song "Amazing Grace" (it was the Elvis episode of Quantum Leap).

Finally, after just 3 pushes, Joshua was born at 7:30 a.m. on Tuesday, July 6. It was love at first sight. And I've been nuts about him ever since! Happy birthday, my big six year old! I love you!

8 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Joshua! I hope you all enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AW! A Happy Birthday to Joshua! So he is 6 now??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Joshua.
    I remember that Elvis episode on Quantum Leap. I loved that show.
    So your a Pa. gal also. What part of Pa.? I am from Greene Co., 60 miles south of Pittsburgh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a relatively easy labor (I know, it's an oxymoron--easy labor). My wife is due on July 14th with our second, and I for one am not anxious to relive the first labor, which was about 18 hours. I am relying on those who have said that the first is easier than the second. By the way, I caught your site from the Christian Bloggers Blogroll. Mine's called "The Gist of It."
    Keep up the good posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the birthday wishes! I will pass them on to him! Yes, he's six today!

    I'm in south central PA, about an hour south of Harrisburg.

    Yes, compared to my first (three hours of pushing!), my second was easy! My third was worse, though shorter, and my fourth was the shortest and the worst!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a son that lives in Quarryville, Pa. That is a little closer to you, and Dan always was out in that area when he went to Ft. Indiantown Gap.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday to Joshua! Six on the 6th....that means today is his "Golden Birthday". Today is also my brother's day (but he's a little older....by 35 years!) I enjoy reading your blog. I'm a mom, too and can definitely relate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. happy bday to joshua!!!

    oh, 3 pushes! we have that in common! LOL!

    ReplyDelete